About the program
Rebates up to $200 are available per customer to the City of Hudson Oaks utility customers that install the Smart Irrigation Controllers with flow/pressure controls, also known as weather-based or Evapotranspirtation (ET) controllers. Smart Irrigation Controllers provide the appropriate watering schedule for the landscape automatically making adjustments up to 365 times per year. These irrigation controllers use current weather data and information about site conditions (such as soil moisture, rain, wind, slope, soil, plant type, and more), and apply the right amount of water to the landscape based on those factors. Studies show most landscape water use can be reduced by as much as 30 percent with the use of a smart controller. However, this technology does not compensate for a poorly designed irrigation system or one that is inefficient. Therefore, the irrigation system should be in good working order.
City of Hudson Oaks utility customers who use potable water to irrigate landscape on a continual basis and meet the program requirements stated below. Applicant must be the property owner.
- Smart Controllers must utilize one of the following technologies:Historical ET information programmed into the controller and accompanied with an active rain shut off and temperature sensor, or On-site weather station connected directly to the controller, or Controller capable of receiving ET data from regional weather stations through satellite feeds.
- The system must utilize flow/pressure control at the irrigation sprinkler head and/or the irrigation control valve (ICV). Existing ICV’s may be retrofitted using Hunter Accu-Sync pressure regulators, Rainbird PRS Dial Regulators, or a manufacturer’s equivalent pressure regulator.
- The irrigation controller must be able to adjust watering based on sun/shade, plant material,and soil conditions based on individual zones.
- The irrigation system should be in good condition, free from leaks, malfunctioning valves oremitters. Issues with water pressure, poor design, soil compaction, slopes and basins, or mixed sprinkler heads, etc., will influence irrigation efficiency.
- The property owner, landscape contractor and/or HOA Board agree to participate in training to operate the controller.
- The applicant agrees to allow the City to use water consumption data for educational purposes.
- Residential, Commercial, HOA and multi-family applicants are eligible to receive one (1) Smart Irrigation Controller rebate.
- Purchases must have occurred on or after February 1, 2016.
- Rebate application must be filled out and submitted by applicant.
- The controller will be inspected by the Water Superintendant, or designee, after installation and determined to meet the requirements of this policy.
- A copy of the receipt of purchase for the controller and flow/pressure control must be submitted.
- An inspection must be completed after installation, contact the City of Hudson Oaks water department at 682-229-2412 to schedule an appointment.
- Must present the City of Hudson Oaks WaterSense certified sign in your yard.
- The rebate will be applied as a credit to the customer’s water bill.