Accessory buildings are secondary structures placed on residential properties. Depending on your zoning designation and property layout, you may be permitted to construct an accessory building on your property. All accessory buildings, even if they do not require a concrete foundation, are required to be permitted.

You can read the full guidelines for accessory buildings here.

— City Code of Ordinances

General Guidelines

Accessory buildings may not be placed in an easement or in a way that negatively impacts drainage. If you have a septic system, a site plan will be required. Allowable construction materials vary depending on the building's classification.

A typical single-family property may have an accessory building up to 1,000 square feet in size. Type A units (less than 160 square feet) may be anchored to a 4" concrete slab or on all corners such that they can withstand winds of 75 mph.

Larger units must be anchored to a concrete slab with beams on all four corners. Units larger than 639 square feet require a foundation designed by a professional engineer registered in the State of Texas.

Buildings larger than 480 square feet require the same percentage of brick and masonry as the main structure.

Topics Discussed

Related Departments

Reach out

Here in the city of Hudson Oaks, we pride ourselves in our community. Whether you're looking to join our community or you've been here for years, use the form below to let us know if there is anything we can do to make our city better.